Saturday, April 26, 2014

Thing 3 - utilities

I added another browser (Chrome), RedLaser, and a wi-fi finder to my phone.

I've been mostly pleased with Chrome on our home computers. We live out in the country and get our Internet through a wireless modem.  The speed is not exceptional, but using Chrome has helped some.  So it might help occasionally when Safari bogs down.

RedLaser is something I might use occasionally - I shop online a lot and much prefer a full screen to do that - the phone screen is just too small to be helpful.  But it may make me look cool and up-to-date in front of friends... And just like I occasionally whip out the phone to look up a quick answer, I may use RedLaser to look up a price/scan a QR code/whatever. I like having options, even if I don't need/use them often.

The wi-fi finder will be helpful.  Whenever I can find free wifi, I log onto it to save using the data from my phone plan - which is limited and expensive.

Since I was installing 3 new apps, I finally got around to organizing the apps on my phone into folders. For example, I have 3 mapping apps on my phone: one it came with, and 2 I downloaded.  None of them can find my home address.  What is it with mobile mapping apps?  The full software programs find my home just fine - the mobile apps not so.  I have reported the problem to all 3.  Mapquest was the only program that was at all responsive. They at least claim to have reported the problem to TomTom, from whom they get their maps.  TomTom may choose to update the maps someday, but it hasn't happened yet.  Reporting to the other 2 apps seemed like it might have worked, but my report may also have gone into a black hole somewhere since I got no reply or acknowledgement.  Because I know that the apps can't find my home address, I also know to take all of the directions they offer with a grain of salt - and continue to use full map software programs and paper maps before going somewhere totally unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment