Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Thing #2: Mobile Device Tips

It would feel pretty strange to spend work time playing with my phone - an iPhone 4S - so I did most of this on my own time.  I found a bunch of things that I didn't know about my phone, most of which I won't use because that's not how I use this device at this time.

One thing that I'm really happy to have learned is that I haven't been closing apps.  I've been trying to figure out why our data consumption has been going up and up, and now I think I know!  In trying to explain to my husband what it meant, I put it this way: by pressing the home button we were minimizing the app, but it was still running in the background, just waiting for us to come back to it, refreshing itself, and eating up data time.  It'll take a billing cycle to figure out whether that's the cause of our data use or not, but I expect that it is.

Another feature I discovered is one that my farmer husband will probably like.  A spirit level built into the phone.  Heck, I might even use it in the house occasionally!

I think the most useful part of this exercise is that it should help me remember to mention the same option to people asking about their devices - whether from a manufacturer's website, youtube, or about.com - there's a lot of help out there.  We already use Internet searches to find answers to eReader questions - odds are someone else has had the same question & posted an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment